In the manufacturing of Blended Cements, expensive clinker is substituted with other cementitious materials such as granulated slag, fly ash, naturally occurring pozzolans, and synthetically produced pozzolanic materials resulting in different types of Blended Cements with unique properties.
Careful attention to the following guidelines should be given when making reliable Blended Cements:
- Evaluation of the availability and economics of the additive to be used.
- The specific application of the Blended Cement.
- Percentage addition of the substitute materials.
- Water demand.
- Fineness of the product – needs to be ground finer than OPC.
- Grinding system capacity and system configuration.
- Drying requirement since generally the substitute materials contain higher moisture.
- Inter-grinding or Inter-blending and separate storage for the product.
- Strength development curve.
- Heat development during hardening.
- Market acceptance of the proposed product.
In addition to the use of hydraulically active components such as granulated slag, pozzolana or fly ash, certain inert materials such as limestone could be added. While this addition does not contribute to the cement strength, it acts as a filler and may contribute to the workability of the cement paste. It is necessary to evaluate the quality of the limestone to make sure that the overall quality of the cement is not affected.
PEC Consulting Group has assisted cement companies with the evaluation of their raw materials and their existing systems and provided them with basic and conceptual engineering for the production of Blended Cements. We can coordinate with reputed testing facilities to evaluate different materials to be blended and recommend optimum parameters.
Sample Scopes of Work include:
- Feasibility and Technical Studies for Greenfield grinding plants
- Feasibility and Technical Studies for developing the optimum system for manufacture of Blended Cements
- Investigation of potential Blend Materials in coordination with laboratories and evaluation of the resulting properties of Blended Cements
- Feasibility studies for converting OPC grinding systems to manufacture Blended Cements
- Equipment Selection. Flow sheets, layouts, equipment lists and basic designs. Basic equipment specifications. Technical and economic evaluation of major process equipment
- Capital cost and operating cost estimates for the project
- Logistics analysis
- Economic analysis of the project
A Technical, Economic and Financial Feasibility Study is the foundation for good project development and it is an absolute necessity for successful investments. By delivering a well prepared and thorough study, PEC Consulting helps its clients achieve their desired goals and maintain a competitive edge.
How can we help you? Get in touch with our team of experts.